August 28, 2008

Pictures of First 3 Days

I know you have all been waiting for it...couple of pics!! This was the first building we were taken to for new student orientation.

This is inside the building. It was a small cafe serving free coffee and fruit for us new kids! I have seen several disco balls around Copenhagen. Danish like discos??

So...the free coffee needed a bit of extra sweet! Danish coffee is stronger than I am used to having on Saturday mornings with mom and papa!

Keeley took this lovely picture. This lady was on the wall of the cafe.

He was also on the wall of the cafe.

I took this picture from the bus. It is a typical Copenhagen street.

This guard was in front of the mansions. The Queen, prince, and crowned prince each had a mansion.

This is one of the mansions. If the flag is raised, it means they are home. This seems unwise to me on account of safety, but I suppose they do have the guards to protect them.

This is the famous Little Mermaid from Hans Christian Anderson's story (Not quite the same story we all saw from Disney!). She has been vandalized many times. She has been beheaded twice. Once it was thrown in a bog and never found again, and another time when a reporter needed a story for his newspaper. Her arm has been stolen also. She has since been filled with concrete so one can no longer run off with any of her limbs.

This is Keeley and me in front of the mermaid.

This is one of the old barracks that were used for the small army.

Another street of Copenhagen.

Our Danish professor took us into a courtyard to show us how houses used to look.

This was the width of a typical roadway in between houses back in the day. I guess this explains why fires were so wide spread.

This is a doorway shielded from the rain for individuals to come out and enjoy a smoke during a break from practicing an instrument or painting.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures. I will post more as I get them, and the stories will continue. Today is my first day of classes, so I am sure I will have an anecdote for that after today! Love you all.

Molly Jean

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your pictures. These are so good. I feel like I'm right there with you. The buildings are alot different than what we experienced in Korea, huh. Save all these pictures for me to preserve in your scrapbook. Miss you. Have fun. Love Moma

Sandra said...

I'll leave it again, now that I have a Google account. I hope you are having the time of your life. I am jealous. Love the blog. Keep in touch, Love, Aunt Sandra